Monday, February 8, 2016

Week 4 Reading Diary: Sita Sings the Blues



Sita Sings the Blues

Author: Nina Paley
Title: Sita Sings the Blues
Year: 2008



Writing a story should not seem difficult until you open up a new, clean document and stare at the screen for a good five minutes while your mind jumps topic from topic. It is true that typing your thoughts out can lead to a high count of grammatical errors, trust me I would know. That’s what I like about blogging the most. You get to submit everything like there’s no mistake then reread and reedit it whenever. I just want to know how many mistakes it took Nina until she perfected “Sita Sings the Blues”.

Nina clarifies this film very well, with the graphics and all. Watching this public I did get some weird looks but I have recommended it to all my friends to give this a chance. I grew up watching Indian movies and shows but I never really studied Hinduism. This video not only kept me entertained but also was very eye opening. In most drama serials, ones that I can remember, a single name always stuck out to me. That name is Lakshmi. In these shows, the families are always wanting a daughter-in-law to be the Lakshmi of the house. Now I understand why.

I am a huge fan of the blues, my favorite singer is Melody Gardot and “Sita singing the Blues” reminded me of just her. One take away from this video that I plan on using is the theme of devotion. Rama was loyal to his father, Hanuman was loyal to Rama, SIta was ALWAYS loyal to Rama and the list goes on.

I like how Nina had inputs of her personal story within the story of Ramayana. It allows another perspective that sometimes life isn’t how it seems. The feelings and struggles Sita went through were not as equal but somewhat similar to Nina’s.



My absolute favorite part from this whole video were the narrators. Man, I could not stop laughing at them! Whenever they would be arguing over a certain detail and the animations would react to them fussing, is the solely reason I want to show other people how great this is.


Narrators riding on the Pushpaka. Source

No comments:

Post a Comment