Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Week 4 Reading Diary, continued: Sita Sings the Blues Part B


Sita Sings the Blues

Author: Nina Paley
Title: Sita Sings the Blues
Year: 2008



Respect is another theme more present in Part B of Sita sings the Blues. In this section, we see how Sita is once again loyal to Rama even though he insults her for something she did not do. The narrator still continue to argue about what really happened on the banishment of Sita from the kingdom. It is pretty confusing on how a man who claims to love Sita with all his might and would go crazy looking for her would take such a dramatic step in having her exiled in the forest. Although that does not stop Sita, she is loyal to the max. She will continue to praise him and teach her children to follow in her footsteps for the betterment of their family. Even though it is Valmiki who is teaching Lava and Kusha, Sita was the one to share her precious love story about Rama in the first place. 

Valmiki teaching Lava and Kusha. Source


Respect for women is something you hear in most common debates. Feminist or not, there comes a point where the situation has to be determined through the common sense of a human not man versus female. Rama once again making Sita prove herself to him, made him more of an ungrateful person. I enjoy reading more about Nina as well. From a girl’s perspective, I can understand what she went through with the breakup and I admire her for making it flow with Sita’s situations too.


Illustration is a must for me. Either the story I write needs to be in extreme detail or I have to include many pictures. I like to imagine what I read, that’s why I love movies more than books. Then again, there are amazing books written by great authors like Jodi Picoult that I cannot get enough of. I like how her and Nina are able to include many characters into the story but still keep it organized and entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment