Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Week 4 Brainstorming Storytelling Styles



Love to forget about Karma.


Topic. My Storybook will consist of love and Karma. I believe that the two themes have an equality with the universal language. They both go hand in hand with epics. Where love lies, karma may be around the corner. My goal is to narrate the stories from an elderly perspective to a grandchild during bedtime. That way I can have more styles twisted into one good Storybook. I plan on including the love stories of Damayanti, Shakuntala and Sita. I do not believe I will have a hard time with the creativity behind these love stories. I believe I will have a hard time in adding Karma into the mix of the roller coaster of ups and downs with love. I probably need to write down the different ways I want the Karma to happen from the incidents of the love stories.

Bibliography:

1. Love story of Damayanti from Mahabharata by William Buck (1973).

2. Love story of Shakuntala from Nine Ideal Women: Sita, Promila and Shakuntala by Sunity Devee (1919).

3. Love story of Sita from Nine Ideal Women: Sita, Promila and Shakuntala by Sunity Devee (1919).


Possible Styles:


Bedtime Story. I was browsing through the examples of the past Storybooks and I noticed that this style is very popular in love stories. I guess it would make sense, explaining how the fair princess met her prince is something all little girls dream of. I plan on using this style within another to intensify the setting of the characters.



Characters Grown Old. It would a nice twist to the bedtime stories if they were told by the actual characters from the stories itself. I don’t plan to expose the grandparents to be the characters so soon but to accidently slip during the night when they get carried away with the details of the love stories. From the odd looks of their grandkids they’ll realize what just happened and try to cover it up with a distraction of another story. The grandkids would try to pester for their grandparents to restart the story with them acting it out.



Diary. At the end of the night, after the grandparents tucked away the kids, the grandma would stubble upon this diary she kept throughout their love story and show her husband her thoughts and feelings. This would be a chance for him to see the struggles and obstacles his wife had to face throughout their love and karma.




I confess. Seeing that this is a first-person perspective then it would be a great diary entry. I plan on using this style for Sita specifically. I like using Hanuman as a side hero instead of Rama. I’m not exactly how intense the confession would be but strong enough to create some kind of commotion to wake up the kids.

Shakuntala. Source

No comments:

Post a Comment