Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Week 9 Reading Diary: Pattanaik's Calendar Art: Part A (Ganesha, Narayan)

The two videos that came from Devdutt Pattanaik's SevenSecrets from Hindu Calendar Art was very entertaining. I was very excited to watch the overall concept of Ganesha and how he came to be. Being a Muslim, I always kept an open mind on other religions purely to curiosity. Growing up with a knowledge of Indian culture, I assumed too often when it came to Hindu Gods. First being that I did not know that there was a difference between god and God. There were so many connections with all of the gods and goddesses, I kind of got overwhelmed. Although, I do have the upmost respect for Hindu’s who do not see this being a factor in their religion and only being faithful. I was drawn towards the love story of Vishnu on how he went to find his wife Shri but ended up falling in love with Padmavati. I feel like that storyline is very common and will be fun to be creative with. I also adored how the parrot and lotus were symbols of love. I think symbolism is very useful in any genre.

In the second video of Part A. I was eager to see Lakshmi’s story again. I knew she was always considered the goddess of wealth but never a cow also known as Go-Mata. That makes more sense in the factor that Vishnu being Gopala the keeper of cow. I honestly did not know that Vishnu and Narayan were the same person but only difference was whether their eyes were shut or open. It really intrigues me that the smallest detail can change a God. Another story that I took away from this video was Tumburu and Narad. I think it can be comically when you find out that the friend helping the two guys actually ends up with the girl.


Overall, I enjoyed learning more about the Hindu religion. I have had respect for the culture and all the traditions beforehand but now knowing the background of everyone, it all makes sense. I think the concept of God can be pulled in many ways but one common thought I agree with Devdutt Pattanaik is that, “Everything is God.”
Funny meme of when God made me. Source.

No comments:

Post a Comment