Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Week 10 Reading Diary: Ram Chahe Leela


In these two videos come from Devdutt Pattanaik's Seven Secrets from Hindu Calendar Art,
I knew from simply growing up that there were 2 types of Bengalis. One from India, Hindus who worshiped Durga and the other Muslims in Bangladesh, like me. I loved all their festivities but never understood why Durga was so important to them. Now I know that she is a popular form of Shakti, power and love. I love the appearance of Durga. She is absolutely breath taking and being a great care giver I can see why people refer to as Durga-Maa or mom.

Durga Maa and her symbols. Source.

The Vishnu principle is stated to make sure that there is harmony between nature and culture. I think that this principle is very versatile and should be upheld in all cases. I love the strength this concept holds. I agree that without nature we are nothing. I feel like I would want to write about a story with having nature playing a very important role. Maybe to have a plant be a symbolic piece by displaying the harm or benefit the society has acted on.



Vishnu having all of these sources to make him a lord to be able to create a stable society and designate the measurements really distinguishes him as of importance. I once hear the term leela before and it happens to come from a Bollywood movie called “Goliyon Ki Rasleela Ram-leela.” It features the Quantico actress, Priyanka Chopra. I loved this movie and all of its songs but never really understood the background of the stories. I know that Ram is a God and leela means a play but in the song they portray them as love-birds.

Ram Chehe Leela Song. Youtube.

1 comment:

  1. Benika, I am so glad you like those videos. Devdutt Pattanaik is really wonderful, both in his videos and in his books. And the Ram-Lila is a big tradition in many parts of India; there is a whole Wikipedia article about it here if you are curious: Ram-Lila (Hanuman is an important part of that too!)

    ReplyDelete