Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Week 14 Reading Diary: Nine Ideal Indian Women: Savitri, Damayanti, Sati, and Uttara


In this week’s reading diary, I loved reading about Savitri because there was so much I did not know. I have read bits and pieces about her but did not know how devoted she was, to her husband. I was amazed on how much her love and faithfulness paid off in the end. I think adding the detail of her background was very important because it shows how great her up bringing was. She was adored and loved by all and she became this ideal woman who thought about love and dreamed about her Prince Charming. She never saw Prince Satyaban to enter her life so soon and so fast. Her parents agreed that everything was moving too soon. They did agree of the relationship later on but that was after bringing in a third source, “Narad.” He explained to the princess and the king that the prince was he was destined to pass within a year. I like how she did not give up on him due to this conspiracy or her parents’ wishes. It does pain me that such a great person like her would have to go through the knowledge of her husband someday passing on a daily basis. I think her courage is what struck to me the most. I would like to assume if I were to be in her shoes I would stay in the same though process and mindset, overall being strong. I think Savitri is a great character to play on in this week’s story line. Satyaban was a great character as well. Him being loyal to his parents is something I too look for in a companionship.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Savitri and Satyaban. Source.




by Sunity Devee
in 1919

No comments:

Post a Comment