Thursday, January 28, 2016

Week 2 Reading Diary, continued: Ramayana Part B PDE



For some reason in the Part B of the Ramayana PDE, I could not help myself but have an old English accent while reciting the poems. The language is just so proper that it reminds me of Shakespeare. Overall I flew by easier on this part than the first and I think it is because I have a better understanding of all the roles that play a spot in these stories or ‘episodes’. What is ironic is that there is an actual Indian show that is based on Ramayana. I really never cared for it but I decided to tune in on it and I was surprised on how well the actors played each role. I wish I could remember the name of the show but if I find it again I’ll be sure to update it here.

Reading Ramayana, there is a feeling of constant hope you have for Rama in each difficult situation he faces, or at least I do. I pondered for a bit on his quote when speaking to the Jabali in Rama and Bharata, “Truth is our ancient path.” That is true. Truth is our only connection to the past. Nobody will believe in something false as history, knowingly that is. I plan on using this aspect into my story someway somehow.


Lastly, every great story needs symbolism. Symbolism is most likely the easiest way for the author to catch the reader’s attention because it will retain more efficiently. I plan on changing the choice of symbolism but keep the same meaning as in The Sandals. In this reasoning, The sandals of Rama were the symbol of royal authority. Therefore, I have to start jotting down all the qualities of royalty to keep the tone of power the same as in this episode.


 
                                                         Bharata requests Rama's sandals.
                                           By Balasaheb Pandit Pant Pratinidhi, 1916. Source



Bibliography:
Public Domain Ramayana: Table of Contents

1 comment:

  1. When I first started reading this story I didnt know what to expect either; surprisingly the family dynamics are very close. Usually in stories like this, there is at least one sibling that tries to out shine the others. However, in this story that is not the case. Amazingly Bharata looks up to his older brother. I am actually kind of curious to know what the name of that show is now that I have been reading about it!

    ReplyDelete